The School of Design Strategies is an experimental educational environment. We advance innovative approaches in design, business and education. In the evolving context of cities, services and ecosystems, we explore design as a capability and a strategy in the environmentally conscious practices of individuals, groups, communities and organizations. We explore strategy in action. How can we use design strategies to promote change, foster creativity, to envision the new urban? How can design improve or re-imagine a broad range of established systems, from fashion to healthcare to low-income housing? Considering the myriad of challenges in the modern world, how can we use all of our abilities to affect positive change? The School of Design Strategies confronts these challenges in both theory and practice, academically and practically, through rigorous research, experimentation and critical application.
Mission & History
As a school, we apply design strategies to address issues in the urban realm, the environment, business innovation and services and systems. The school was formed in recognition that fundamental changes will profoundly impact all of us from large-scale urbanization, rapid climate change, food inequity and lack of access to affordable housing, for example.
The School of Design Strategies was established to develop new and innovative design methods to address these global problems. Bringing a wealth of expertise to the classroom, faculty members offer students fresh perspectives on how design can have impact on the world. As we develop these programs and the school itself evolves, one thing remains consistent: the curiosity and passion of both the students and faculty. Professors and students are using integrative and transdisciplinary design to co-create new tools and approaches for industries, governments and non-governmental organizations. They are change-makers, visionaries, innovators and entrepreneurs.
The School of Design Strategies
In an increasingly designed world, art and design reflect and shape all kinds of experiences.
"The School of Design Strategies is a place where students, teachers and communities work side-by-side, grappling with the difficult questions of our time. In the marketplace, healthcare, education, climate change, access to housing, and a range of other issues, SDS students explore strategy in action: researching, designing and prototyping their design responses to these challenges, to propose new ways to create positive change in the world. We are the social entrepreneurs and the future change makers."Go To The Dean's Profile
EFFECTIVE ACTION REQUIRES COLLABORATION ACROSS DISCIPLINES.
“The leading problems of our time – climate change, the integration of the developing world into the global economy, the safe and affordable provision of water, food, and shelter worldwide – are too complex to be solved using the resources of any one discipline or type of expertise by itself. SDS not only orients its students toward problems like these, but trains them for effective collaboration in interdisciplinary contexts. Design today has moved far beyond its traditional focus on the production of beautiful objects, and has emerged as a set of tools for marshaling and aligning diverse inputs in the service of addressing the most intractable challenges facing humanity today.”Go To Profile
Culture & Place
A CREATIVE LABORATORYIN NYC
There is a buzz at the School of Design Strategies, a frenetic mixture of creativity, ambition, passion, activism, innovation and curiosity -- much like New York City itself.
At SDS, students have the unparalleled advantage of NYC as their campus, with endless opportunities to live and learn in one of the world’s greatest cities.
- Interested in Transdisciplinary Design? Don't miss the information session and webinar today at noon!… https://t.co/ZyISJpwHz6,
- Don't miss this tonight! https://t.co/S212B1XT08,
- RT @ParsonsTransD: With @parsonsdesign at Chanel headquarters for @ColumbiaMBA collaboration! How might we shape the future of the lux… https://t.co/KdWmQpjjjd,
- RT @SureWeCanNYC: @godelnik from @sdsparsons at the panel talking about the importance of getting into this new mindset… https://t.co/oirUwIdJEv,
- A once in a generation plan, the Fourth Regional Plan by the @RegionalPlan launches today at @TheNewSchool. It's fo… https://t.co/YFsKLwYYtV,
- RT @VeraListCenter: Today is the last chance to catch #MariaTherezaAlves, Seeds of Change: New York - A Botany of Colonization before t… https://t.co/TmGcBAuNkQ,
- See below for a job opportunity to work with one of our @SDSDesignManage alumna. For any current students, they are… https://t.co/1qT6v0XRJI,
- Join some of our SDS and @Urban_Parsons alumni and current students for a tour by Designing the WE of their exhibit… https://t.co/ruYno0AJCD,
- RT @leesean: .@SDSParsons's @godelnik sharing his experience designing #PlatformCoop models to help #refugees https://t.co/78BJFJsEpr,
- The workshop continues on Thursday, for anyone interested! https://t.co/3KpSjLZp9F,
- RT @cynthialawson: Excited to be at this @SDSParsons event with Sarah Corbett from @Craftivists . Latest book is "The art of gentle p… https://t.co/bMeIwrFEZj,
- RT @SDSDesignManage: Join the @ParsonsELab Demo Day this November 8th and see the products created by of the 2016-17 fellows! RSVP now:… https://t.co/AbiGPOPgBJ,
- Join @Urban_Parsons and PEZ [Estudio] for a series of workshops next week around resiliency and co-creation within… https://t.co/OeD4vpVbp3,
- Check out this funding opportunity for your start up! https://t.co/s3Zq6tzIiu,
- Want to enhance your lunch? Join a talk with Branimir Medic right now in the Sky Room at 2 W 13th. Going on until 1. @parsonsdesign,
School of Design Strategies
Parsons School of Design firstname.lastname@example.org