In the context of the city and the marketplace, students and faculty work as active citizens fully engaged as designers in real world contexts.
At the School of Design Strategies, the primary objective is to foster experimentation. Opportunities to approach work in novel ways is of great value to the SDS community and we are always in the process of identifying and developing new domains of inquiry. Students and faculty are encouraged to work on projects that explore new forms of collaboration or combine methodological and theoretical frameworks in new and unusual ways.
THE DESIGN DIALOGUES SITE HOUSES ALL ONLINE PUBLICATIONS FROM THE SCHOOL OF DESIGN STRATEGIES AT PARSONS THE NEW SCHOOL FOR DESIGN
The collection of publications contained within Design Dialogues represent the cutting edge of research-driven design. Each exhibits the deep commitment to social impact, collaboration and strategic thinking that has become emblematic of the work done in The School of Design Strategies.
The publications include: The Journal of Design Strategies, Designing W/ and The Integral City, and include essays, photographs, projects, research articles and other creative works that reflect the interdisciplinary nature of The School of Design Strategies.
The Journal of Design Strategies
The Journal of Design Strategies is published annually by the School of Design Strategies at Parsons The New School for Design. JDS is an international, peer reviewed journal committed to promoting cutting-edge research at the nexus of design, business, and social innovation. Both the Journal and the Stephan Weiss Lecture Series, with which the Journal is coordinated, are generously supported by the Karan-Weiss Foundation.
Read the Journal of Design Stategies - Volume 6: Designing for Billions
The current volume explores new opportunities for design in the context of emerging markets. Increasingly today, market and social actors including entrepreneurs, activists, investors and policy makers are coming together to envision and implement initiatives promoting broad-based prosperity and sustainable development in various locations throughout the developing world. And within emerging markets such as those of India, China, Mexico, and Brazil, designers are playing important roles: working with social activists to increase the efficacy of their missions; helping entrepreneurs develop new forms of socially inclusive enterprise; advising government agencies in the creation of incentive mechanisms that preserve the planet’s biodiversity; and leveraging the energy and enthusiasm of students to advance the aspirations of ordinary people in regions that today remain among the poorest on the planet.
Designing w/ is a communication platform intended to document, present and reflect on courses at SDSS developed in collaboration with external partners and across The New School. Designing w/ is also about participatory design. Unlike the problem-solving approach that focuses on providing immediate answers to problems, our approach is inquiry-driven and collaborative. At SDS, we want to learn how to use participatory design methods to build a shared understanding of the complex challenges, identify new opportunities, and design multiple scenarios and solutions. Every year we develop and offer courses to study and intervene in the urban milieu by framing our work around human practices: urban recreation, education, reintegration, mobility, food systems, urban services, etc.
Read Designing W/
The Integral City is one of the results of a collaborative project between The New School Urban Collaborative (Parsons The New School for Design and Milano Graduate Finance Lab) and Elsewhere, an experimental, living museum and artist residency program in downtown Greensboro, North Carolina. Over the last decade, downtown Greensboro has experienced community vitalization through grassroots and city-led planning, infrastructure, and urban programming initiatives. Despite a population of 300,000, the downtown has struggled to attract and retain live/work resources, economic diversity, business longevity, and a design sensibility that re-imagines the downtown’s character and strengthens the city’s identity. SDS Urban Design students traveled to Greensboro and used collaborative art and design tools to identify, strengthen, and connect Greensboro’s cultural assets and naturally-occurring community hubs.
Read Integral City
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR PROGRAMS
- RT @InstPubArch: Save the date! 11/14: 2nd Annual Fall Fête, honoring Rosanne Haggerty & @kimmelman #IPAfete http://t.co/vtJvoLQUFF http://t.co/xyEiCuqkSU,
- RT @quilian: Laboratori Metropolitani: NYC begins w Roosevelt Ave presentation @iuav @UniMediterranea @UnivPoliMarche @SDSParsons http://t.co/k0n2ilpa5t,
- RT @quilian: .@SDSParsons students present history of BusinessImprovement Districts to @iuav @UniMediterranea @UnivPoliMarche team http://t.co/ZyY632kATx,
- Grad students: check out Summer opportunities this Friday with @IFPNewSchool !,
- RT @IFPNewSchool: Interested in spending a summer abroad with the International Field Program? Join us this FRIDAY! http://t.co/8ZhO33su1z,
- RT @BKSKarchitects: Did you attend last week's #TNSClimateAction event at @TheNewSchool, Building Product Ecosystems? What did you think? http://t.co/dK7LDGLSBr,
- The #MakingCities symposium comes to a close on its 3rd year @TheNewSchool http://t.co/fD4vf6avm7,
- GPIA director Michael Cohen questions our measures of "success" #MakingCities @ObservLatAm @MilanoSchool @UrbanTNS http://t.co/j2k2YCTm7B,
- We don't worry about the market; we are drivers of it and we see it as being ripe for change -dean Alison Mears #MakingCities @ObservLatAm,
- Dr. Preechaya Sittipunt from @ChulalongkornU discusses the curriculum and internationalization of education #MakingCities @ObservLatAm,
- What we address @TheNewSchool : The future of the global urban city -NSPE dean @MichelleDePass #Makingcities @ObservLatAm @MilanoSchool,
- . @MichelleDePass tells of the responsibility that our voice amplify the voices of the vulnerable #MakingCities @ObservLatAm @MilanoSchool,
- RT @ObservLatAm: "Urbanism, the act of living the city, is a social act," Brian McGrath from @ParsonsSCEarch #Makingcities,
- RT @ObservLatAm: Dean @MichelleDePass from NSPE @TheNewSchool brings a different perspective to the urban discussion #MakingCities http://t.co/TfqFppEBc3,
- NSPE Dean @MichelleDePass shares the importance of incubating our innovation conversation #MakingCities @ObservLatAm http://t.co/bPWgW9tRlH,
School of Design Strategies
Parsons The New School for Design 2 West 13th St Avenue, Floor 9 New York, NY 10011 firstname.lastname@example.org