2020 Parsons ELab Summer Start-Up Accelerator: Applications Open
Parsons ELab calls for fellows for a 4-week accelerator program for the month of July 2020. Applicants may lead for-profit scalable businesses, nonprofit, B-corps, and independent models.
This summer’s cycle will commence on July 1st, 2020 and run through July 29th, 2020. Hopefully, it will be on campus this summer but if the campus is closed it will be offered online. The summer accelerator is open to any Class of 2020 students and recent alumni up to 3 years out. We welcome applicants from students across programs of The New School. Your application can be submitted here.
Applications Open March 16, 2020.
Deadline to Apply April 20, 2020.
The 2020 Program
The Summer Start-Up Intensive Fellowship is the 6th cohort of Parsons ELab. This year’s program has been designed as a 4 week intensive for early-stage, scalable businesses to prepare for entrance to the broader ecosystem of accelerators and incubators in NYC. At the end of the Intensive you will pitch to the teams from several incubators and accelerators across NYC and get feedback and possible acceptance or be invited to apply.
ELab is committed to investing time and effort in providing the resources for promising startups to succeed and fellows are expected to exhibit the following behaviors and mindset in order to make the most of this opportunity. Our network spans across NYC to connect fellows with the broader ecosystem.
- Networking opportunities with alumni, mentors, and industry
- Create a scaleable, sustainable business
- Follow passions, solve problems and commit to start-up success
- Prepare to pitch to incubator and accelerator teams from the greater NYC area with the potential of being invited to apply
- Applicants must show a scalable business model. (Most incubators are affiliated with Angel and VC funders who look for a return on their investment. If you do not think your business model fits, reach out to inquire during our office hours.)
- Preferably at least one founding team member a woman or minority
- Applicants are expected to be available full-time (9-5pm M-F and sometimes evenings for fireside chats with amazing mentors and influencers during this fellowship so be willing to make this a priority.
- Eligible applicants must be second-year graduate students in their final semester ready to graduate or recent alumni from any of the graduate programs of The New School (3 years out)
- The mission should have alignment in part with one or more UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Your offering can measure it’s impact, through key performance indicators (KPI). This can be in part, a bi-product or the main focus of your business.
- Your solution takes into account inclusion measures such as how a product or service is perceived, sold, presented, etc…to a wide inclusive audience.
Complete the application form here.
All applicants are required to submit the following for the initial application:
- Completed application form here (online)
- Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “YOURNAME_ELab2020” and one single 15MB PDF that contains the following:
- Current resume (for all team members)
- Pitch Deck (preferably with MVP, a proof of concept or functioning prototypes currently being tested)
- Outline and Draft Business plan
Applicants will be selected to participate in the final selection round which will require a 5 minute pitch to the ELab team and judges. Applications should prepare:
- 5 minute pitch (date to be announced)
Applicants will be judged on their pitch, business model, scalability, and other criteria listed above. The final selection of fellows will be notified at the end of April and will be expected to participate in the full intensive program in NYC in July.
After notification of selection, you will be invited to a kick-off event at the end of May to prepare for the July Intensive.
For questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the ELab team during open office hours every Friday from 2-3pm at the Innovation Center.
Expectations of a Fellow
Fellows are expected to be available full-time and dedicated to the summer intensive fellowship in NYC in July. Fellows are required to attend all check-ins, mentor presentations and workshops, reviews, and final pitch presentations. They are also requested to remain available for an annual research survey up to 5 years after leaving the ELab to help us in our research around the efficacy of incubation and mentorship. Fellows are expected to stay connected to the ELab for a minimum of 3 years, support our events, offer mentorship, participate to give back and help continue to build a vibrant alumni ecosystem.
*2020 Deadline to apply extended to April 20th*