Location: Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Auditorium, Sheila C. Johnson Design Center, 66 Fifth Avenue |
To celebrate the launch of three new programs in urban design and urbanism at Parsons, and the separate publication of a seminal new book, the 700-page Companion to Urban Design, the School of Design Strategies hosts a day of stimulating presentations and provocative discussions on contemporary design and the making of cities.
Highlights of speakers and topics include:
- Tridib Banerjee, University of Southern California, and Anastasia Loukaitou-Sideris, University of California at Los Angeles, “Roots, Influences, and Trends in Urban Design”
- Christine Boyer, Princeton University, “Cybernetics in Urban Form and Design”
- Gary Hack, University of Pennsylvania, “Urban Flux”
- Jeffrey Hou, University of Washington, “Citizen Design: Participation and Beyond”
- Kathy Madden, Project for Public Spaces, “Placemaking in Urban Design”
This symposium is organized by the School of Design Strategies at Parsons and funded by a grant from the Office of the Provost at The New School.