The School of Design Strategies is an experimental educational environment configured to advance innovative approaches to design and business education in the evolving context of cities, services, and ecosystems. Our students and faculty explore designing as core capability and design as strategic asset in the sustainable practices of individuals, groups, communities, and organizations alike.
Location: Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Auditorium, Sheila C. Johnson Design Center, 66 Fifth Avenue |
To celebrate the launch of three new programs in urban design and urbanism at Parsons, and the separate publication of a seminal new book, the 700-page Companion to Urban Design, the School of Design Strategies hosts a day of stimulating presentations and provocative discussions on contemporary design and the making of cities.
Highlights of speakers and topics include:
- Tridib Banerjee, University of Southern California, and Anastasia Loukaitou-Sideris, University of California at Los Angeles, “Roots, Influences, and Trends in Urban Design”
- Christine Boyer, Princeton University, “Cybernetics in Urban Form and Design”
- Gary Hack, University of Pennsylvania, “Urban Flux”
- Jeffrey Hou, University of Washington, “Citizen Design: Participation and Beyond”
- Kathy Madden, Project for Public Spaces, “Placemaking in Urban Design”
This symposium is organized by the School of Design Strategies at Parsons and funded by a grant from the Office of the Provost at The New School.